BOC: dem words dem words dem wild words heed the word of de

Ted Jackson jr. s2h2 tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Fri Oct 1 07:55:38 EDT 1999

> From:          Bolts of Ungodly Vision <js3619 at WIZVAX.NET>
>>
> Although, Beat em Up can be  excused because it wasnt written "in house."
> We can  sneer at BOC for a momentary lapse of reason in agreeing to set
> them to music.  Aong those lines, the fact it took more than one person to
> write "Let Go" never ceases to scare/amaze me! heheh

My point that with the departure of Al and SP, BOC felt forced to
cast about elsewhere for lyrics, with disastrous results, I'm
afraid...

 What struck me the most about the lyrics of Heaven Forbid is that
they seem
> to  be, besides not being as cool as "Cities on Flame," a try at being more
> contemporary with song content. And lyrics about the times in which they
> were written were never a trademark of BOC. For me, those "Golden Days"
> were most imp[reessive in that the lyrical content of the songs did not
> describe anything we could think of as relating to everyday life (well, the
> angst  of Death Valley Nights or "In Thee's" nostalgia might be
> exceptions).

Have to disagree here.  Lots of contmeporary [if twisted] references
abound on the early stuff, c.f. Hot Rails, BtKaR, SttS,MotSS[QG]
etc...

After all our world is not "redeemed by a country song", nor
> full of silverfish imperatrixes(?), harvesters of eyes or diz-Busters.

Too bad!

  Add
> the boffo verbiage to the strange amalgam of styles that became  the Music,
> a strangley  marked O and an alien first LP cover -- what do ya got?
> Something diametrically opposed to "Whole Lotta Love" or "Problem Child"
> blues/rock.

Thank Christ!  Reminds me of an ancient article in Creem, where EB
was asked about BOC's lyrics/songwriting.  He said something like:
'...It's an alternative to "I got da blues..."'

theo