OFF:DARK STAR

Keith Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Sun Oct 3 15:57:05 EDT 1999

Dave G. asked...

>I just saw a couple of CDs by Dark Star.  The album,  I think, is called
>20-20 Sound or something similar and there was an EP from the album.
>There was no indication of musicians, other than Steve Lillywhite
>produced.  So,  does anyone know which Dark Star this is and if it's
>worth getting?

'Reprinted' from Aural Innovations #6...

dark star (London, UK)
CD-EP   Gracedelica             1998    EMI             UK      CDEM-523
CD-EP   I Am The Sun            1999    EMI             UK      CDEM-534
CD      Twenty-Twenty Sound     1999    EMI             UK      497 2012
Christian Hayes - Voice and Guitar, Laurence O'Keefe - Bass and Voice, David
Francolini - Drums
dark star, P.O. Box 21, London W10 6BR England U.K.  <www.dark-star.co.uk>

The newest Dark Star, this British trio was derived from members left over
from the band Levitation upon Terry Bickers' split to form his own band
Cradle.  I managed to track down their second CD-EP, the four-song "I Am the
Sun," and while it doesn't quite live up to my expectations based on my
fondness for Levitation's "Coterie," I do see significant merit to this
music.  Two versions of the high-octane rocker "I Am The Sun" are offered,
including the dreaded remix.  But, lo and behold, the remix version is
actually the better of the two!  (That's a first.)  The lyrics seem a tad
inane, though - for instance, "Joan of Arc was cool, but she got burned.
Like I'm burning out for you, I'm centrifugal."  Hayes voice is perfectly
suited to this material such that they really aren't undermanned as a trio.
Next, "Living Under the Ground" is a subtle, shimmery piece that only
Porcupine Tree do better.  To wrap up our short look at these 'newcomers,'
"Semaphore" is straight from the Levitation playbook - sweet, soft, and
supple harmonic tones from both bass and guitar, a touch of glissando and
various sampled vocals.  The full-length album "Twenty Twenty Sound" should
be available soon, and I hope to find more goodies then.

Keith H. (FAA)