BOC: Lyric discussions

Ted Jackson jr. s2h2 tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Mon Oct 4 09:32:33 EDT 1999

> From:          "John A. Swartz" <jswartz at MITRE.ORG>

> > => I don't know much about his solo works, but compared to BOC aura, Iron
> > => Maiden's is just for kiddies entering the world of HM. Like cheap
> > => horror comics compared to Lovecraft's world.
> >
> > Classic-era Maiden is one of those guilty pleasures nobody should pass
> > up.  And hey, anyone who can work Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Frank
> > Herbert, Heinlein, and _The Prisoner_ into their songs can't be ALL
> > bad... ;-)
>

> ABSOLUTELY!!  Iron Maiden is not exactly in the same class lyrically as
> BOC (and of course, there aren't many who are), but I wouldn't exactly
> say they are "just for kiddies entering the world of HM".

I'd say, then, 'just for kiddies of all ages.'  IM remind me of
another pet rock of mine, Rush.  Just because they happen to quote a
couple of lofty literary sources doesn't make them intellectuals!  I
can write an essay full of literary quotes, but it doesn't make me
Harold Bloom...

Their
> influence on metal in the 80s is probably just as significant as BOC's.

I'd say probably more so, and KISS even more than that.  Point being
what?  Read a bunch of interviews with guitarists from the 60s and
early 70s, and a lot of them will tell you that seeing Elvis on TV
made them take up the guitar...

> > > Reminds me of an ancient article in Creem, where EB was asked about BOC's
> > lyrics/songwriting.  He said something like: '...It's an alternative to "I
> > got da blues..."'

> > Actually it was Allen Lanier.  And it was "de" blues :-)

Wow!  I'm impressed.  You sure it was AL?  Back in those days he was
almost never quoted.  You wouldn't by chance know which issue it was?
I've got a huge stack of old Creems up in storage, and was thinking
of going through them this winter...

theo