OFF: Slang question

DASLUD at AOL.COM DASLUD at AOL.COM
Mon Oct 4 13:44:45 EDT 1999

In a message dated 10/4/99 1:35:36 PM, vince-l at EROLS.COM writes:

<< >
My co-worker (and I) aren't familiar with the phrase "teaching me
grandmother to suck eggs."  Is this a UK expression?

Any help would be appreciated.

======
by way of 'helping'...heh...
i associate egg-sucking, to the extent i ever need to associate such things,
with dogs. on a farm,  or some place where you have laying hens, ya gotta
keep the dogs away. the way i heard it, once a dog got a taste of them thar
egg innards, he'd be plumb hooked. such dogs risked execution for this
offense.
clearly this lent itself to that timeless old country song "dirty old
egg-sucking dog"

"<>"