BBC Lyrics vote

Jill jill at THETA-ORIONIS.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Mon Oct 4 15:34:02 EDT 1999

M Holmes wrote:

> The BBC web site has a vote on the best song lyric. I wondered if we
> ought to decide on a line from one of Calvert's pieces and then go vote
> 'im into the chart?
>
> Maybe the first verse of Spirit of the Age?
>
> FoFP

Hmmm.  Time is a bit short - final votes have to be in by 6pm on October
6th (Wednesday).  Here's the website address

http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/poetry/npd_vote.shtml

My own preference is for Ten Seconds of Forever or First Landing on
Medusa but both these are spoken pieces and I guess they are looking for
a sung lyric.

In that case Spirit of the Age probably would be best, it's certainly
contemporary enough but how much of Quark Strangeness and Charm is
Calvert and how much Brock?  Or Kerb Crawler?   Or Steppenwolf?

Perhaps we should each vote our preference to focus on the writer rather
than a particular song.

jill  (amused to see where the BBC have put the apostrophe in Nation's -
although it might be intentional I guess if they are taking devolution
seriously!)

Jill Strobridge <jill at theta-orionis.freeserve.co.uk> or
J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk