BOC: Lyric discussions

John A. Swartz jswartz at MITRE.ORG
Tue Oct 5 08:45:18 EDT 1999

> << I do recall that he didn't quote the Led
> Zeppelin line ("squeeze my lemon 'til the juice runs down my leg")
> exactly either. >>
> ============

> > well,  a 'led zeppelin line' via whoever first uttered it decades previous...
> > whatever old record they nicked it from...
>
> Definitely Robert Johnson, possibly 'Travelling Riverside Blues'

Thanks - I like the blues a lot, but I'm not up on blues history or all
of the classic blues artists/songs.  I do know, of course, that the
first few Led Zepplin albums had a very heavy blues slant to them.

> I'd say, then, 'just for kiddies of all ages.'  IM remind me of
> another pet rock of mine, Rush.  Just because they happen to quote a
> couple of lofty literary sources doesn't make them intellectuals!  I
> can write an essay full of literary quotes, but it doesn't make me
> Harold Bloom...

I wouldn't say that Maiden necessarily quoted a few lofty sources.  And
my point being again that I think it makes them worthy of more than
"just for kiddies entering the world of HM"

> Their
> > influence on metal in the 80s is probably just as significant as BOC's.
>
> I'd say probably more so, and KISS even more than that.  Point being
> what?

Point being that they aren't "just for kiddies entering the world of HM"

And as for KISS, while I wouldn't put them up there as musical
geniouses, they DID influence a lot of 80s and 90s artists musically -
an aspiring student might want to give a listen to something like
"Destroyer" knowing that their current favorite metal guitarist wore the
grooves off of his copy back in 1976...

> It happen to be in the early eighties, I used to compare 'Cultosaurus'
> with the IM actual 'Killers'. Light years of quality between these two
> bands. A single note on Lips In The Hills beats the whole opus of IM,
> and says more than they ever could.

Well, that is subjective, but I would agree - like I said, most bands
would fall short in comparison to BOC in terms of lyrics and music.
However, I find IM worthy of better treatment than the original quote

But - to each their own, and 'nuff said by me on this particular topic.

John