Imaginos/Half Life Time (lay off the IM!)

E F des at SUPERLINK.NET
Tue Oct 5 11:05:10 EDT 1999

On 05-Oct-99, Sprawl says to me:
> Agreed.  Another vote to quit slagging the maiden.

I agree, besides "Seventh Son" is a brilliant concept album even though it
alienated many of IM's die hard fans for it's use of, amongst other things,
keyboards <gasp>.  Unfortunately, IMHO, it was also their last good album.

> Why even compare them to BOC? Yes, there are guitars and other instruments
> in both bands, and both tend to drift into morbid areas or the macabre in
> general.
> Any similarity stops there.
>
> And to call them kiddie metal is just silly.  Why, because they have a
> mascot?  A gimmick?
> Oh wow, that's certainly strange for a metal group...

What is a mascot but a symbol.  BOC falls into this with the Cronus-like
symbol and Motorhead has Lemmy...

> IM does not "toss in lofty quotes" and masquerade as intelectuals
> (meaningless word, that.) The lyrics are carefully arranged, and do quite
> well at telling whole yarns in short, simple verse.

Definately.

> BOC is one of my top all-time favorite bands...  but the lyrics are often
> pointless and disjointed.

"Light Years of Love" any body??

True Maiden may lack some of the subtleties within their lyrics that BOC
does, but they are still a smart well versed band that can draw from a well
of many sorces with between modest to great sucess.  I think it is fair to
include BOC and IM within a list of hard/heavy bands that broke the mold
but considering their styles overall a direct comparison would be unfair to
both.

  --Eric

--
Predictions are tricky things, especially if they're
about the future.  -- Yogi Bera