de=da=duh=D'OH/ bloooooze and thievery

Dave Berry daveb at TARDIS.ED.AC.UK
Thu Oct 7 16:23:32 EDT 1999

At 19:04 07/10/99 , Paul Mather wrote:
>On Thu, 7 Oct 1999, Carl Edlund Anderson wrote:
>
>(First of all, welcome back!)

Yep, good to have you back here (or back there, or whereever).

>=> Well, the use of the term "ripped off" itself implies fairly modern
>=> concepts of intellectual property rights.

You're arguing from a folklorist p-o-v, but what about classical music -- say one of Beethoven's string quartets?  His authorship has stood the test of time.  And similar examples persist from the 15th Century.

>=> By our standards, this is ripping things off. By their standards it was
>=> just doing business as usual.
>
>Carl, as an academic, you should know that what Zeppelin did was a
>textbook case of plagiarism.

"But please, to call it .... research"  (Tom Lehrer).

Dave.