OFF: Black Sabbath??? (Was OFF: Blues music, etc..)

Sen. Volstead antisol at SOFTHOME.NET
Fri Oct 8 01:38:25 EDT 1999

Horse Whisperer wrote:

> >From: "Sen. Volstead" <antisol at SOFTHOME.NET>
> >
> >Sabbath Bloody Sabbath has a generic, satanic picture on the cover. And
> >what is the actual song "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath"?
> >A lame, commercialized attempt to point out obvious flaws >in Christianity,
> >that's what it is!
>
> Just hold it right there mate!
> Black Sabbath created some of the finest music (guitar or otherwise) ever
> known on this earth, SBS included.
>
> Yes their lyrics weren't the most intellectually adept (how can this even be
> a criteria?),

Surprisingly it makes a difference for a lot of people whether lyrics are good
or not. I think there are Iron Maiden and even many Hawkwind songs that would be
better if they just eliminated the vocals entirely where they become childish or
repetitive.

> but I'd be very interested to know how "commercialized"
> applies here, whether to the music, the packaging or the words.\

well, I think of Ozzy Osbourne as more or less an earlier version of Marilyn
Manson. There's no doubt the guy's a complete sell-out nowadays, though I guess
I can't really say as much about his early career since I myself didn't exist at
the time. Black Sabbath was a "major part of my life" until I was maybe 16 or
so. After actually paying $50 to see an "Ozzfest"  I haven't willfully listened
to them once.

I acknowledge Hawkwind's overwhelming superiority! "Who's Gonna Win the War"
carries the deep, deep message that WAR IS BAD so much more eloquently than "War
Pigs". And I just love what they're doing now with adapting trendy ALIEN
gimmickry into their cover art and set design!