OFF: Black Sabbath?

Thomas Rickert hijinks at UTARLG.UTA.EDU
Fri Oct 8 08:34:40 EDT 1999

I've noticed over the years that "sell-out" is a fairly middle-class term. For
those who grew up genuinely poor, as many of those in English bands did,
"selling-out" as we call it is the epitome of success. I sense a great rift in
values that renders judgement more iffy than it might appear. I mean, consider Def
Leppard, considered by many to be one of the greatest sellouts in rock history.
But is it really? Their goal all along was not adherence to some "aesthetic"
principle--their goal was to make it. Period. And maybe Ozzy came to see it that
way, too, when he got to his solo career. Who can really blame them? Ozzy claims
he would have been a criminal but for Sabbath, and Leppard would probably be in
the factory. Other bands could be trotted out here as well, I'm sure. But the
point is that these values of theirs are a package deal. Ttheir music is just as
much a product of those values as the careerist bent that we want to judge them
for.  For us to single out one aspect, in the name of some anti-success aesthetic
(no matter how seemingly valid), is somewhat specious of us I think.

Of course, that doesn't make me want to listen to Bark at the Moon or Hysteria,
either.

-tjr