OFF: Black Sabbath??? (Was OFF: Blues music, etc..)

Michael K. Elwood mkelwood at MAIL.QSICORP.COM
Fri Oct 8 10:32:08 EDT 1999

> Horse Whisperer <beautiful_foot at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:
>Just hold it right there mate!
>Black Sabbath created some of the finest music (guitar or otherwise) ever
>known on this earth, SBS included.
>
>Yes their lyrics weren't the most intellectually adept (how can this even
>be a criteria?), but I'd be very interested to know how "commercialized"
>applies here, whether to the music, the packaging or the words.
>
>ee gads man, context, context....

I couldn't agree more. For the most part, Sabbath's lyrics work very well
with their music, IMHO. I would even contend for their "intellectual
adeptness" (within context) in some cases. Vol. 4, in particular, has some
great lyrical snippets, such as:

"People say I'm heavy, they don't know what I hide"

or:

"I've seen the future and I've left it behind"

or (my personal favorite):

"I don't believe in violence, I don't even believe it exists"

which has to rank up there with BOC's immortal line:

"Blasts from clustered R4M quartets in my snout"

Yes, it's not Shakespeare or Goethe, but what do you expect?

Best regards,

MKE

ObLP: Black Sabbath, Volume 4