OFF: Black Sabbath?

Fri Oct 8 11:56:20 EDT 1999

At 07.34 -0500 99-10-08, Thomas Rickert wrote:
>I've noticed over the years that "sell-out" is a fairly middle-class term. For
>those who grew up genuinely poor, as many of those in English bands did,
>"selling-out" as we call it is the epitome of success. I sense a great rift in
>values that renders judgement more iffy than it might appear.

I remember discussing this sort of issue with several musician friends in
Cambridge, and we all agreed that given the opportunity to "sell out" and
become shamefully rich ... we would do so immediately. Then, once filthy
with lucre, we invest it conservatively (no big houses, cars, boats, and
coke binges ;) would have plenty of time to arse around doing the kinds of
music we wanted to since it wouldn't matter if anyone bought our records
(since we would already be totally wealthy :)

Digusting, isn't it? :) But I'm all in favour of putting my artistic
integrity on the back burner so that I actually have a chance to wield it
more effectively in the future.

Mind you, not many artists seem to follow quite that plan ....

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson