OFF: Black Sabbath?

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Fri Oct 8 13:48:46 EDT 1999

On Fri, 8 Oct 1999 11:56:20 -0400, Carl Edlund Anderson
<cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK> wrote:
>I remember discussing this sort of issue with several musician friends in
>Cambridge, and we all agreed that given the opportunity to "sell out" and
>become shamefully rich ... we would do so immediately. Then, once filthy
>with lucre, we ... would have plenty of time to arse around doing the
kinds of
>music we wanted to since it wouldn't matter if anyone bought our records
>(since we would already be totally wealthy :)
>
>Digusting, isn't it? :) But I'm all in favour of putting my artistic
>integrity on the back burner so that I actually have a chance to wield it
>more effectively in the future.
>
>Mind you, not many artists seem to follow quite that plan ....

I can't think of very many - how about Gary Ramon of Sun Dial?  A great
indie debut, followed by one mediocre and one crappy album on a major label
subsidiary (Beggars Banquet), followed by more great indie albums.

Then, of course, there are the artists, who having achieved commercial
success, attempt to make "serious" music (usually in some sort of
retro-classical or jazz style), and embarass themselves hideously in the
process.  Maybe I'll put on Jon Lord's 'Concerto For Group And Orchestra'
when I get home!

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com