bloooooze and thievery

Chris Warburton desdinova at EARTHLING.NET
Wed Oct 13 12:47:14 EDT 1999

At 12:13 12.10.1999 EDT, you wrote:
>In a message dated 10/12/99 11:18:55 AM, mcintyre at PA.MSU.EDU writes:
>
><< > George Thorogood is the most obvious culprit.  Maybe Carl's right and
>> you can't write any original blues songs, but I don't think George has ever
>> tried.  I'm sure he credits all the people who wrote those songs, and money
>> must certainly go back to the original songwriters (or their heirs), but
why
>> does he even exist in the first place?  He's added nothing to the
rock/blues
>> music library IMHO.
> >>
>==============
>on the xistence of geo. thorogood:
>heck if i know...heh...but he was on rounder records in the mid-70s, and
>while obviously not a punk, he was on the raw and rockin' side, a rarity just
>then.
> but enduring 20, 000 plays of his version of "who do you love" (from several
>years later) would make anyone cranky, i reckon.
>if he 'added' anything, it involved cleaving to his roots at a time when it
>was boston and foreigner uber alles...
>
>"<>"

Abso-****ing-lutely: GT may not have been a great originator, but he WAS a
damn fine interpreter, and the man in the snakeskin boots gave me (& '00s
of others) a really great night out at Rock City - one of the best shows at
one of the best venues of the period, period!  You can bet he also turned a
lot of snot-nosed kids into blues fans who might otherwise have just spent
their wedge on making Foreigner/Boston et al. even richer.

ChrisW

"a cynic is a man who when he smells flowers looks around for a coffin" -
Bierce