tBS: Piece of Work

Torgo Sedler drtorgo at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 15 09:23:19 EDT 1999

Once upon a time,  Matthew Braun <mbraun at URBANA.CSS.MOT.COM> said......

----`Piece' is good, and getting better w/successive spins.  ("I deserve a
candy
treat for getting through your ridiculous song twice."  You guys kill me.)

`Work' was amazing from the first listen.----

Heh heh. That's funny because I thought the same thing on the first listen
or two, and then I went the other way, and then I went back. "Piece" took
awhile to grow on me while "work" had to be pried from the player. Next
thing I know it's the other way around. I can't decide which disk is better,
as they are both RAPIDLY climbing up my personal charts.

Keep in mind this is not my actual review, just some random thoughts. I do
have a full review in the works, coming soon.

Overall PoW is a multilayered and amazing album. Early favorites for me are
"Last Angry Woman", which would make a fantastic concert opener, and I hope
the Surgeons do this one live no matter where it is in the setlist, and "on
the road again", which sounds like something that might have fit snugly on
the "Eponymous" album.

All in all this album reminds me alot of Eponymous. One thing that differs
is PoW's lack of anything really BLISTERING. Yeah, there are some heavy
heavy tunes here, but there doesn't seem to be that one track (needle gun,
name your monster) that thunders above the rest. Not that it takes away from
the album, it's still Brain Surgeons through and through, and damn good.

"Swamp thing" puts me in mind of tBS doing a cover of a BLACKFOOT tune. I
like the use of some different instruments here as well, like keyboards and
a fiddle. "Lady of the Harbor" sounds much different than the Pull the Plug
version. tBS do a cover of Skynyrd's "Simple Man" as well, and it takes a
totally Brain Surgeons feel to it, kinda eerie in parts.

Well, that's all for now......

Torgo (who gets funny looks when he mumbles the Albert parts of "Biloxi"
under his breath, hour after hour after hour......) :^)
DrTorgo at hotmail.com
http://welcome.to/torgos