OT(ish): Alan Davey...

flossbac flossbac at NLCI.COM
Fri Oct 15 11:47:35 EDT 1999

> <<  Does anyone know what chords Alan actually plays? >>
>
> ========
> gee, as the bass player, he's perhaps playing intervals, but not chords,
any
> ol' way.
> or did i miss something?

I think you missed something.  You can play chords perfectly well on
bass--I've done it many times.  In general, he plays single-note stuff, but
there are a few places where some chords are used, although they're nothing
strange.  Keep in mind that especially on bass, because the distance between
frets is so large, it's not even possible to have much "stretch" between
notes so most chords consist of:
1) a drone string with other fretted notes against it (as in "Down Through
the Night" and "Damnation Alley")
2) generally the index finger barring three strings (leaving intervals of
4ths) with perhaps some finger action two frets up on any of the strings.
Alan rarely uses dissonant chords (except "Time We Left" which has a
root/flat 5th type of thing)
John Majka
flossbac at nlci.com
http://www.nlci.com/users/flossbac/hawkwind.html