OT(ish): Alan Davey...

DASLUD at AOL.COM DASLUD at AOL.COM
Fri Oct 15 14:35:37 EDT 1999

In a message dated 10/15/99 11:50:02 AM, flossbac at NLCI.COM writes:

<<  Keep in mind that especially on bass, because the distance between

frets is so large, it's not even possible to have much "stretch" between

notes so most chords consist of:

1) a drone string with other fretted notes against it (as in "Down Through

the Night" and "Damnation Alley")

2) generally the index finger barring three strings (leaving intervals of

4ths) with perhaps some finger action two frets up on any of the strings.

Alan rarely uses dissonant chords (except "Time We Left" which has a

root/flat 5th type of thing)

John Majka

flossbac at nlci.com

http://www.nlci.com/users/flossbac/hawkwind.html

(now with new pictures of Nik Turner!)

=======

yeah, shoulda thought a little more about that post... the word 'chords' just
meant something else to me; i guess i think of it as '2-string strumming', in
terms of the bass (grin/eyeroll/sigh). even had my own bassist do some as
such in one section of one song (in 86).
showing once again that you dont have to know what you're talking about to be
in charge.
thanks

"<>"