OFF: DJing

Fri Oct 15 16:19:16 EDT 1999

        Picking up Chuck's latest set-list (Julian Cope! Choice opening
sir!) reminds me that I was going to post the following... I got onto the
decks at Cambridge's Rock Society night at a small dingy club near the
station for an hour on Tuesday, and thought I'd pester BOC-L with the
set-list:

1. Man or Astroman? - `The Sound Waves Reversing' (Made From Technetium)
2. Kyuss - `Fifty Million Year Trip (Downside Up)' (Blues For The Red Sun)
3. Monster Magnet - `Space Lord' (Powertrip)
4. Clutch - `Soapmakers' (Elephant Riders)
5. Motorhead - `Deaf Forever' (Orgasmatron)
6. Solarised - `Gravity Well' (Neanderthal Speedway)
7. The Brain Surgeons - `Needle Gun' (Malpractise)
8. Blue Oyster Cult - `Cities On Flame (With Rock And Roll) (Blue Oyster
Cult)
9. Hawkwind - `Silver Machine' (In Search of Space [remaster bonus])
10. Ozric Tentacles - `Kick Muck' (Pungent Effulgent)
11. ST37 - `March of the Chrome Police' (Spaceage)
12. Pressurehed - `Man In Static' (Sudden Vertigo)
13. Hawkwind - `Motorhead' (Mighty Hawkwind Classics, 1980-1985)
14. Orange Goblin - `Nuclear Guru' (Time Travelling Blues)
15. Black Sabbath - `Children of the Grave' (Master of Reality)

        The BOC and ST37 were both a bit too muddy for the sound system,
and I got hissed for the Orange Goblin, which was admittedly too slow. As
you may detect, an at least partially hostile audience: after the seventh
request for Korn or Marilyn Manson I started replying, "Sorry, I'm playing
rock," but the fifth or so with ears to hear seemed to enjoy themselves,
and the look on the face of the one bloke who recognised the Ozrics track
immediately made up for it all... Available for parties and barmitzvahs...
Yours,
        Jon