OFF: The Iron Horse (was Re: OFF: Frond Live CD)

Brian Halligan bthalligan at EARTHLINK.NET
Thu Oct 21 17:54:09 EDT 1999

Theo wrote:
>Hey, was that at the Iron Horse?  What kind of venue is it?  A lot of
>different acts play there, incl. folkies.  Decent crowd?  How's about
>a review?

Jason handled the review, so I'll handle the venue. Yep, it was the Iron
Horse. It was basically a bar/restaruant with a decent-sized raised stage
(deep enough to handle the drum kit for the opener and for Frond at the
same time, anyway). The place had unfinished hardwood floors and a balcony
that formed a reverse "L" shape in the right-hand corner of the hall. Of
course, when there's a balcony there's high ceilings, so there was some
echo to the sound system. But the house soundman was good, so the mix was
well-balanced. There weren't any special lighting rigs, just one bank of
lights that they either didn't use, or they were all just regular white light.

Like you wrote, the Iron Horse has seen a lot of different acts. There were
more autographed pictures there than I've ever seen in a club. I can't
remember any act in particular, but I saw punks and people with cowboy hats
on the same wall.

I couldn't say how many people were at the show, but almost all of the
tables were full. The show started at 8:30, and the place filled up during
the two opening acts. You could tell some were already Frond fans, but a
lot of them seemed to be hearing the band for the first time. The crowd was
probably 70% male and pretty much what you see at any bar gig. Except for
one gorgeous blonde woman in stylish clothes who looked totally out of
place (not that I'm complaining that she was there....) Judging by the
dancing people and the applause, everyone enjoyed the show.

Brian