OFF: SETI at home

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Mon Oct 25 05:52:32 EDT 1999

> > > The quickest one I've seen is some guy at Silicon Graphics who's averaging
> > > less than three hours!!!  Eeek!
> >
> > I just checked the top 100 users, and the fastest is 1hr 54min!!
> oops! made a mistake it actually is 1hr 35min!
> > I do not know what kind of a machine that's supposed to be.

There was a rumour recently that the Israelis had built a quantum
machine for code cracking (most doubt it, but it's just about possible
with the sort of money spooks supply and a technical breakthrough or
two).  I guess that with such a machine, and the right algorithm, they
could do this sort of stuff in microseconds.

FoFP