OFF: CDZone

Mon Oct 25 20:38:08 EDT 1999

On Fri, 8 Oct 1999, Mark Lee wrote:

> As an afterthough, it seems to me that a large percentage of the
> members here have used web based companies for supply purposes,
> how's about we draw up a top ten, five or whatever list of same and
> share it out, I know people comment about this sort of thing
> regularly so it shouldn't be too difficult ?

        Ages back this, I know, but my contribution is a top two, and a
one-to-avoid (tm):

1. The Freak Emporium <www.delerium.co.uk/freakemp/frkmptop.html>

        Always quick, never so far wrong, will take Switch over the phone,
supplier to the stars. Also physically have the stock in the office, so
you can ring and say "Have you got this in?" and get an answer rather than
lay your money down for something that isn't there.

2. Cheap Or What CDs <www.cow.co.uk>

        Mainstream store but with so huge a selection that they often have
it anyway, and that includes US imports for those who can't easily get
dollars. They, for example, carry Brain Surgeons stuff, the only UK
retailer I know of to do so, although on that particular count they
bely their otherwise accurate name. Only some physical stock, but will
order strange stuff for you if you actually contact them. Stay in touch
about progressing orders. Slower than Delerium but everyone is.

        BUT! Avoid:

A. Blackmail Mail Order <www.blackmail.co.uk>

        Hopelessly confused office staff and no physical stock. Also, the
web-site is rarely updated so basically if you order off it there's about
a 33% chance of them being able to get it and they're more expensive than
COW anyway.

        My 2pworth. Yours,
                           Jon