HW: Greasy Jam - Eyesight To The Blind

DASLUD at AOL.COM DASLUD at AOL.COM
Tue Oct 26 00:46:06 EDT 1999

In a message dated 10/25/99 1:54:39 PM, jill at THETA-ORIONIS.FREESERVE.CO.UK
writes:

<<
<<Actually I'm sure I've had this argument before and I'm sure that each
time   I rush over to my hi-fi, consumed with guilt and dismay that I've
got it wrong, play everything through a dozen times forwards, backwards
and sideways until the neighbours are about to rush up the stairs in
indignation and each time I come up with exactly the same answer which
is that I fundmentally disagree with you on this one!!>>

<<The "Jam" bit on Wierd 106 is indeed very similar to the end section of
"Seeing It As You Really Are" BUT (and this is the important bit) I am
quite determined that it is NOT the same performance.>>
=====
you mean 'NOT the same performance as what appears on ROADHAWKS'?
aye, lassie.
======
<<Yes.  The band probably did play the "Jam" section as the end bit of
"Seeing It.." in fact they probably played the "Jam" section on every
occasion they performed "Seeing It..." which includes the occasion when
they performed "Seeing It" as the encore to Space Ritual.>>
======
i dont know the reason it's entitled 'jam' on the Weird tape =laziness?=, but
there's no difference at all in intent twixt these two, by any other name.
many shows in this era concluded in this manner, and in both cases it's the
show's conclusion. i wrote about their 'encore medley' a few days ago; it's
very possible that what is called 'jam', which fades in, is the second half
of 'you shouldnt do that' on this occasion, just as it was on ROADHAWKS and
many other live tapes i have.
======
<<However the "Jam" on Wierd 106 is NOT the Space Ritual performance
(listen to them in parallel - they are different!   Quite apart from the
speed difference - the Wierd tape "Jam" is so laid back it's almost
falling off the stage compared with the Space Ritual bit which is far
more aggressive.   Also there's a whole chunk of electronic type stuff
on the upper level of the Wierd track which isn't there at all on the
Space Ritual).>>
=======
reasons for their 'laid backness' could include how wasted they might be, and
simon king playing ollis's kit (it DOES make a difference) and not being as
integrated into the band as he will be 10 months hence for 'space ritual'.
=======
<<Given that this similar basic end section also appears in Text of
Festival's "Seeing It" my guess is that the Wierd "Jam" has a date
somewhere between its "Text of Festival" appearance and its "Space
Ritual" appearance which would comfortably place it into the Greasy
Truckers Roundhouse gig.>>
======
and comfortably it resides, luv. ^_~
======
<<So I am perfectly happy to accept that the cover inside my Wierd Tape
says "Roundhouse" for "Jam" along with the other stuff.>>
======
peace in the valley!
=====
<<Yrs in particulars