an observation from a rookie

Bolts of Ungodly Vision js3619 at WIZVAX.NET
Wed Oct 27 00:18:04 EDT 1999

At 10:14 PM 10/26/99 EDT, you wrote:
>hello, all y'all,
>i always thought that this boc-hawkwind combo was skinny; sci-fi lyrics? is
>that it? a rather tenuous thread to hang a newsgroup on, yes? i signed up
>because i love both bands, but i haven't seen a boc-related posting since my
>addition to the list!

You want to know why? here's some reasons:

1.  BOC, in its present incarnation, is too damn laid back in its work ethic.
    It's hard to talk about Secret Treaties like its the best thing since
    sliced bed all the time when it's been out longer than I've trod the
earth.
    Even the Mobilife Fidelity 2fer deserved such lukewarm treatment. It's
been heard already. It just sounded better this time  round. (twirl your
sarcastic pointing finger in the air here)

2.  BOC discussion has been notable for the horrible realization that these
claims will always be made:
        1. It's not like it was in 1975
        2. The list has already  (attempted?) to make explicit the underpinnings
of Imaginos
        3. Eric can/can't play the guitar. And he loses his voice.
        4. Buck plays the same way since 1976.... which the more i think about
           it, the worse it sounds.
        5. Every time something NEW attempts to exist in their discography that's
not a Best of, it gets buired through some sad mechanism.
        6. You can only say drop steve schenck so many times before your voice
gets hoarse.
        7. No one drums like Albert and Danny Miranda is a good bassist.
        8. Live shows, though more prevalent than Hawkwind, are tarred and
feathered for being stale.  For goodness sakes they didn't even try to  do
the bulk of  Heaven Forbid when it was a new disc.
        9. Mud of some kind will be slung between the AOl BOC board fans and those
who are on BOC-L. Personally, I think that BOCL does the following against
BOC in a fundamental way: the lopsidedness in product that is painfully
evident will always result in more Hawkwind talk. For a band of former
hippies they really know how to light fire under their asses. That's a good
thing too.

        10. Lyrics are not what they were.
        11. UNlike the hawkwind webpage, the BOCFanClub page is  painfully slow in
putting new poop up there to  appease appetites.
        12. Despite the fact that BOC's lineup has been through  phases over time,
        one cannot call them by any stretch as "creative changes".. Fer example,
BOC's loss of Albert didn't mirror the shift in the return of Calvert/loss
of Nik in the cool music production contest.
        13. Unless an act of god happens, I doubt any of this will change.
        14. There's no cornucopia of live performances we can quibble about what
was played where and with whom and where did it appear in teh legit.
releases like Hawkwind has. To date, the closest we come is the 5 song
bootleg rom Rochester, Stalk Foreest group which is just session work so no
rocket science needing divination there, and The Thing. Whooopdee**&%^in' doo.
15. We all know these things as part of the FAQ we have on the BOC dialogue
in our minds. So no point in talking bout them.

Can you tell I'm miffed? Thank god for the Brain Surgeons.  At least with
them you know that theres new work afoot in between appearances in the
light of stage and CD stores.

BOC is dead long live BOC