HW: Greasy Tracks

Jill jill at THETA-ORIONIS.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Tue Oct 26 18:23:19 EDT 1999

M Holmes wrote:

> > << If "Jam" is
> > >the same track that follows the Greasy Truckers material on the Weird
> > >tapes then there's a mystery. I found this identical (though slowed
> > >down) to the "Seeing It As You Really Are" piece preceding Silver
> > >Machine on Roadhawks >>
> > =============
> > no mystery.
> > the track on the weird tape, if my memory serves me well, is simply the end
> > of another hawkwind show.  it's not slowed down so much as on this occasion
> > they're playing it slower. well, yeah, then it <is> slowed down but
> > =nnnggghhh= the recording itself hasnt been slowed down.
>
> Well OK, if we're to believe that the various shouts and screams are
> precisely the same gig to gig. It's just that I don't believe that. Play
> the tracks against each other and you;ll see what I mean.

oh dear - it seems there is about to be a sad falling out between
Codexers...... 8-(

Obviously and quite genuinely most people don't hear any difference
between the "Jam" track on the Wierd tape and the bit at the end of
"Seeing It..." on Roadhawks.   I do.   But there's nothing more I can
add to what I've said! I've tried and I'm relieved that Larry (thank you
sir!) who is a musician can also genuinely hear precise differences
between the two tracks that I am only vaguely aware of.  So I guess we
have to settle on the fact that the two tracks are close enough (or that
the recording is bad enough) that they are difficult to distinguish
between.    That still IMO does not militate against a Dec 1972 "Jam"
because there's only a matter of months between them and it's a track
whose development might have been shelved while other tracks were
developed for Space Ritual.

But mercifully however this discussion is largely if not completely
academic since Brock has "Jam" listed as part of the Greasy Truckers gig
and I, for one, am quite happy to accept that.    8-)

Plus ca changes
jill
-
Jill Strobridge <jill at theta-orionis.freeserve.co.uk> or