an observation from a rookie

Chris Warburton desdinova at EARTHLING.NET
Wed Oct 27 19:14:31 EDT 1999

At 08:20 27.10.1999 EDT, theo responded to:
>> From:          Bolts of Ungodly Vision <js3619 at WIZVAX.NET>
>
>>         4. Buck plays the same way since 1976.... which the more i think
about
>>            it, the worse it sounds.

with:
>Hate to argue with the usually inspired Jason, but here, you're dead
>wrong.  Buck's playing is currently at an all-time high, esp. in the
>live shows.  In the old days, BD could be pretty hit-or-miss at
>concerts.  He might fluff certain parts of a song only to redeem
>[sic] himself with a great solo.  Judging by what I've seen at
>concerts the last few years, BD is positively inspired in his playing
>throughout the shows.  Only criticism I can muster being that
>sometimes his stage volume is too low, so that you can actually hear
>him better if you're further back in the crowd...

With which I concur most strongly:  I couldn't have had a better birthday
present last year than Buck's playing at the Astoria show in
London...admittedly I was "as a newt" that night (being in celebratory
mode), but for me, he was "On Flame....", though I don't know about the
interregnum years, not having seen BOC between the Imaginos tour and that
night.  I know that's a long time, but I was still gobsmacked that someone
I already regarded VERY highly as a rock guitarist could have got SO much
better!

Speaking of which, Rich, Helen says that her boobs say "Hello" ('scuse the
bad poetry...)

Cheers,
ChrisW

"a cynic is a man who when he smells flowers looks around for a coffin" -
Bierce