HW: Random stuff

Marshall Wood mwood at MY-DEJA.COM
Thu Sep 2 12:51:38 EDT 1999

I found a few Hawkwind comps in a local shop and was wondering if any were worth picking up.  Among them:

  Sonic Boom Killers (1st time I've seen this one)
  Ambient Anarchists (OK, this one was recently discussed)
  F&R 6: Cosmic Travellers (US$6!)

I've got most everything already, I'm looking for alternate versions, I guess, or special packaging, or detailed liner notes...really just a good excuse to buy the damn things!  :-)

Someone recently asked for a more up-to-date version of the Codex - is there one?  That's such a great resource for determining which compilations contain stuff that I don't have already, I'd hate to see it fall out of date.

CDNow (among others) is taking advance orders for the "Hawkwind Family Box Set", a 4 CD set on Cleopatra to be released on 9/21.  The Cleopatra web page hasn't been updated in months, so that's no help in determining what's on this.  I don't hold out much hope for it being worthwhile - Cleo just issued a 2nd Amon Duul II compilation - and it's just a repackaged and retitled version of their first Amon Duul II compilation!  Ridiculous!

A friend here at work just lent me the CD where Pop Will Eat Itself covers "Orgone Accumulator."  The cover is only 2 minutes long, if that, and it has a real cheezy keyboard sound in it.  Was this a tribute or a parody?  I let my friend borrow _Space Ritual_, to hear the definitive version.  He listened to the whole thing, but said that he felt that HW took themselves too seriously.  Whatever...

Looks like http://www.hawkwind.com just got a facelift!

MWood

NP: ProjeKct Two: _Space Groove_