OFF: CMJ/Tour dates (long)

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Fri Sep 10 16:13:47 EDT 1999

Just a few things to add to Keith's CMJ roundup and related subjects ...

On Fri, 10 Sep 1999 09:24:24 -0400, Keith Henderson <henderson.120 at OSU.EDU>
wrote:
>Daevid Allen's University of Errors Knitting Factory (Old Office) 9-17 Fri.
>11:00pm

I've unfortunately only seen one of their Bay Area shows, but this is
definitely one of the best Gong spinoffs ever.  It's definitely to the
band's benefit to be backing as creative/talented/charismatic a guy as
Daevid, and to his advantage to have the energy of musicians half his age
pushing him on.  And they're loads of fun to boot (as you'd expect from any
Daevid Allen project!).  Don't miss 'em if you can avoid it.

>Pretty Things     Maxwell's        9-17 Fri.        11:00pm

I saw the Pretty Things last weekend in San Francisco - FANTASTIC!  They
play music from their entire career, from their original high-energy R&B
configuration (and Phil May can still snarl as well now as when he was in
his 20s) through the exquisite psychedelia of 'S.F. Sorrow' and 'Parachute'
through their straight-ahead 70s rock through a couple good songs off of
their newest album.  And it's all good!  One of the highlights of the
performance, for me, was hearing Dick Taylor's psychedelic guitar leads
(especially in the set-closing "L.S.D."->"Old Man Going" segment) - it
really showed that this was the guy who produced (and played on) the first
Hawkwind album.  I had never really made the connection before, despite
having listened to 'S.F. Sorrow' hundreds of times, but it was obvious that
his playing must have been one of the bigger influences (along with
Barrett/Gilmour) on Dave Brock's transition from acoustic blues guitarist
to the blanga space rocker that we know and love him as.

Too bad that both of these great shows are on the same night!  I'm glad I
don't have to try to make the decision (me, I'll be in Pittsburgh!).

>Primordial Undermind w/Salamander and Overhang Party (Japan, with Michio
Kurihara)

>Fri 9/17 Pittsburgh, PA - Stevenson Theater
>Sat 9/18 Philadelphia, PA - Khyber Pass (Insidious Spectacle Fest)
>www.maltlicker.com
>Sun 9/19 New York, NY - WFMU (webcast at www.wfmu.org) - [not sure if this
>is a CMJ show also?]

Unfortunately, the WFMU broadcast is not 100% confirmed.  It is however,
most definitely NOT any relation whatsoever to the CMJ event.  We have
nothing to "showcase" to the "industry".  BTW the new Primordial Undermind
CD, 'Universe I've Got' is out and available at your more undergroundish
music stores; of course, it will also be available from us at the shows
(sorry for the commerical content!).  We hit the road monday and will be
gone for three weeks with no computer in tow (hooray!) so if anyone needs
to get in touch with me, be sure to do so before then.  Hope to see some of
you at the shows ... come and say "hi" to the violinist with the big nose!

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com

P.S. If there's anyone in Chicago who might have a place where we could
crash out monday 9/27 after the show it would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!