OFF: Masters of Reality / Karma to Burn

bart bart at AEOLIANS.BT.CO.UK
Mon Sep 13 04:15:39 EDT 1999

> On Mon, 6 Sep 1999, bart wrote:
>
> > PS: I notice a big stack of the debut by Unida (John Garcia's new band) in
> > HMV. Any comments ?
>
>         Not speaking on my own account here, since all my info is
> second-hand, but I believe this is not the debut - something with the name
> `Warren G' in the title was, and there's a split CD with Lowrider on Man's
> Ruin. Opinion on the stonerrock-list which I inhabit also states that
> these are a bit sub-par, haven't-got-a-sound-yet, just-John-Garcia's-
> backing-band kind of thing, but that the new one, `Coping With the Urban
> Coyote' is better than this and in fact good full-out fuzzed blues rock in
> a southern/desert style.

Oh, I was talking about 'Coping...'. Kerrang seemed to dig it.

BTW, Masters of Reality put on another great show saturday. The somewhat
intimately sized Borderline was pretty full - hard not to be I guess! First up
were We from Norway, who put on a pretty good show (point docked for excesisve
tambourine use). Then they gave way to the Big Man Chris Goss & MoR who
proceeded to rock as mightily as they did last time around. Set was something
like

Theme for the Scientist.../It's Shit/Moriath/Great Spelunker/Kill the
King/Take a shot at the Clown/Blue Garden/Alder Smoke Blues/Domino/
Doraldina's Prophecies (yeah!)/She Got Me/100 Years/John Brown/ Ants in the
Kitchen/Goin Down

Blue Garden & Alder Smoke Blues ruled, and as usual the songs which come over
as being light in the studio really benefit from the live setup. Great to hear
Doraldina's Prophecies too.

Tim