HW: Lemmy in Anime?

Andrew A. Apold mordru at FLITE.NET
Thu Sep 16 09:29:34 EDT 1999

>Apologies to the list if this has been discussed before.
>
>Cartoon Network here in Japan is currently screening the
>animated version of Superman.  Can't be more specific as we
>don't get the full titles/credits of the original,  just the
>local licensee and voice actors.  The last couple of
>episodes featured an intergalactic biker-cum-bounty hunter
>called "Lobo" (Spelling?)  Has any one seen this,  and if
>so, does anyone know if the model for Lobo is Lemmy,  or was
>the animator having a flashback day?

You know there are too many comics people on here to let that
slip.  Lobo comes from comic books...

Lobo was created by Keith Giffen, in Omega Men.  He became
a bit of a hit after showing up in Justice League (at the
time written by Giffen) and eventually got his own book, by
which time he'd transformed a lot into the biker/bounty
hunter he is now known as.   To my knowledge, he was never
based on Lemmy or anyone else.  In fact, he was originally
not like the biker/bounty hunter he eventually became.

Originally he was just a deadly assassin, who killed everyone
on his home planet (well, except one other whom he gets later),
and every drop of blood he spilled would make a clone of him
(this ability was eventually burned out ).

He really came unto his own in his first miniseries, where artist
Simon Bisely's ultraviolent art style meshed perfectly with what
Giffen wrote for him.  There may have been some Motorhead influence
from Bisley.   This is one of the funniest mini-series I
have ever read...  The Elvis Truckers.... the violent ballet
troupe.... the league of decency...  the spelling bee commandos...
very highly recommended if you don't mind violent humor.

Others have been hit or miss, but I very much recommend the
"Unamerican Gladiators" miniseries.  Bisely didn't do the art,
but this one was great fun.

Lobo was a member of the L.E.G.I.O.N. book for a number of
years, he was a little toned down (not much) in this, still
violent, not as funny, though.  Much important info on his
character occured in here.

Then, he got his own book, which was at times great.  It
eventually did get cancelled... you can only tell the same
jokes so many times...

-------------
info about lobo

He has a sentimental side, he loves his pals, "Space Dolphins".
He goes out of his way to kill anyone who harms them.

His motorcycle is a "Spazfrag 666"

Lobo as in "wolf"?  no, it's Lobo, which in Khundish dialect
means "He who devours your entrails and thoroughly enjoys it".

Lobo will keep his word when he gives it.  Though he always
looks for loopholes.

His favorite band is "Oedipus Wrecks".  His favorite radio
station is, IIRC, "Cosmic Rock Zombie".  They play one song,
non-stop, 24 hours a day, "I killed my parents" by Oedipus
Wrecks.  Upon pain of death, Lobo said he would kill them if
they ever stopped playing that song.  He has a receiver built
into his cranium so he can hear it non-stop at maximum volume.

One of the more amusing stories, the DJ who had been playing that
record for over a decade finally had to leave the booth to get a
haircut.  His understudy took over, and not understanding why it
was so vital to play that song, decided to play "Soul Music"
instead.

Lobo, who had begun banging his head against a wall when this
situation started, was approached by a demonic guy (named Neron)
who wanted to know if he could take his soul.... Lobo, thinking he meant
the soul music in his head, readily agreed.... and after the
misunderstanding was sorted out (by violence), there's this
great scene of Neron standing while some disco anthem
is blaring inside his head.  Lobo, a compassionate soul, didn't
let him suffer long, as he blew up the radio station a few panels
later (carrying out his threat).

"I was corrupt before I had power!" - Random