HW: TOTP2 - the real live track?

Andrew A. Apold mordru at FLITE.NET
Wed Sep 22 10:55:29 EDT 1999

>Likewise, I would also like to get in touch with anybody who has some decent
>'puter-based video editing kit. I filmed two gigs from the Business Trip,
>one with brilliant Mixing desk sound, and both films are superb quality
>Hi-8. This is seriously stunning footage which I've been wanting to mix for
>the past 6 years!!!
>
>Similarly, I did a 2-camera Hi-8 shoot of Porcupine Tree when they played at
>the Garage a couple of years back, and would like to get that sorted too!

I used to work for a company called RGB Computer & Video... we made Amilink,
a video editing system that ran primarily on Amiga computer systems (worked
directly with Video Toaster if you had that).  The company is now defunct,
still have the software....  but don't have all the boards that go with it,
you need at least a pair of time-based correctors for your decks (and they
had to be pro decks that could accept TBC) plus a control module for the
decks.  My Amiga is currently gathering dust in my garage... I don't know
whatever became of all our old stock.  RGB eventually took its money and
bought a company called saf-t-lok and severed all its computer and video
connections (they made gun locks hoping that a law would be passed
requiring them, but kept bleeding money badly last I heard from them)....

It was a pretty nifty program, standard AB/roll suite, could mark all your
video spots, control various switchers, it would roll them far back enough
to be at full speed, etc.  Very professional editing for pretty cheap
price....  I wrote a video logging program for maintaining a database of
video stuff (scenes, etc.).....  I think maybe 50 sold, total.  The
company basically died when commodore-amiga declared bankruptcy.  We did
have a windows version of it... and a mac version that never saw light
of day due to some agreement with some other company.

Anyway, while I worked there they wanted everyone, even us programmers,
to have "hands on" video editing experience so we'd understand better
what we were creating....  I took some cameras and filmed a bunch of
footage of a friend's band (well, a friend's sister's fiance's band),
had fun with that.  Primarily S-VHS, some Betacam also.  Digital
video was just surfacing right at the end there....

"I was corrupt before I had power!" - Random