OFF: Deep Purple: Concerto for Group and Orchestra

DASLUD at AOL.COM DASLUD at AOL.COM
Sat Sep 25 06:13:59 EDT 1999

from bob mayo:
=============

concerto stuff:

my info is from my 'invitation' (being a member of the dpas): this latest
concerto performance is not a repeat of the 1st; some of the arnold/lord
stuff is performed in addition to some dp songs w/orchestra added, and other
material as well with many notable (though not named in my invite/hype) guest
stars to appear.

the reason they're doing it again is that the proceeds go to charity; which
one i don't recall.

i consider the concerto a failed experiment; those interested in the concept
should check out the dp/malcom arnold live recording of john lord's GEMINI
SUITE from 1970 (1993 rpm records uk). it wipes the floor w/concerto in sound
quality, performance, band/orchestral integration, and unlike the concerto
then, it was performed live only once. it is truly outstanding and is
everything the concerto should have been. the tapes were not released until
'93, insuring that the one-time-only (but superior) gemini suite would not be
the orch/band meeting that the history remembers. a shame.
bobm