OFF: Q2K

Torgo Sedler drtorgo at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 25 09:05:55 EDT 1999

Hi folks......

Keith Henderson asked.........

>P.P.S.  Queensryche's going out on tour now...anybody got the new album,
Q2K?  Is it any damn good?  I imagine it would have to be different at
least, now that DeGarmo has split.

I have Q2K, and it's all I have listened to for a week straight now.
Personally, I think it is one of their best albums.

Kelly Gray is the new guitarist, and he does indeed give the band a much
different feel. On a first quick listen this album sounds much like their
last one "Hear in the now frontier", but after you get your teeth into in
they couldn't be more different.

It's hard to describe all of the subtle changes on this album. The easiest
way is to compare the new sound to KING'S X. The infamous AB and I have been
discussing this and we agree that it almost sounds like Queensryche is
trying to sound more like them. The album is a nice mix of hard and heavy
(more so than their last album) with alot of "trippy" sounding stuff mixed
in. It has a few power ballads that start soft and then build. Another band
that comes to mind is TEA PARTY. I always thought TEA PARTY sounded like a
real spacey Queensryche. Q2K in some places reminds me of this, as it sounds
closer to TEA PARTY than any other release.

The new sound would have worked nicely on a concept effort much like
PROMISED LAND or the phenomenal OPERATION:MINDCRIME, but sadly Q2K is not
along those lines.

There is a well written song by song breakdown review of the album on the
Queensryche Campaign Web site (www.queensryche.com), if you are interested
in picking up the album I highly recommend reading it.

I can't get enough Queensryche these days, and I think it's going to take
something like... oh I don't know......a new BRAIN SURGEONS ALBUM maybe to
dislodge it from my player.

Back into the lurkers cave with me. Back!! Back I say!!!!
Torgo