OFF: God Speed You Black Emperor (again again)

Zebulon Mysterioso beautiful_foot at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 3 10:41:45 EDT 2000

>From: david hall <dave at PARMA29.FREESERVE.CO.UK>
>Saw this lot in Glasgow last week - awesome. Supported by Sigur ros:
>a mixture of Durutti Column, the Chameleons, Bjork...and Van der
>Graaf Generator - check them out!

Saw GYBE! in Belfast last Thursday, with Fly Pan Am and Sigur Ros.
Fly Pan Am were pretty nice, if completeley uncommunicative, then came Sigur
Ros.  This is an incredible band, with keys and a bowed guitar (for most of
the set) the music had a lush, engulfing nature and when the singer
began..........oh the sweetness of the air!
Such purity of tone, he has an amazing, beautiful voice which works
perfectly with the music they're creating.  I had a lump in my throat so
many times.
The Godspeed You Black Emperor! came on.  There were 9 of them this time and
the music was pretty much as it is on CD.  They played the whole of the Slow
Riot CD, with one track being extended to twice its original length (the
voice sample was much longer than on the recording) and sections of the
album, plus some stuff I haven't heard.  they didn't play the one and three
quarter hour set I was hoping for, but then I wasn't bargaining for being
blown away by Sigur Ros.
All told, the emotive power of Sigur Ros toppled GYBE! as the highlight for
me (and for most of the others I spoke to after) whilst GYBE! were still
excellent.

A good indication of how good it all was is this:  I left with 3 CD's.
The A Silver Mt. Zion (a GYBE! offshoot) is very appealing, and Sigur Ros
are 3 times better live than on CD.  Strangely, the only way I can describe
Sigur Ros is by thinking of Enya fronting Hawkwind playing the Theme to Get
Carter.

I'm still thankful to Andy Gilham for saying convincing things here and on
his website about GYBE!....

Chris.