HW Andy G'b - Dave Brock & his Baton 1982-3

Tim Gadd lupercal at GEOCITIES.COM
Tue Apr 4 11:54:38 EDT 2000

At 10:51 AM 4/4/00 +0100, M Holmes wrote:
>Melvyn Vincent writes:
>
>> Just thought you'd like to know that I clearly remember the 'Dave
>> Brock and his baton',bit! (nuff said guvnor).  In 1982/3 I
>> accidentally stumbled on a column in the London Evening Standard about
>> a rock musician appearing in court after being arrested in possesion
>> of dangerous weapon.  Apparently Mr David Brock.  aged 39 ,was stopped
>> by police in a London street whilst in possesion of a 4ft baton, and
>> when questioned he claimed that he possesed it purely for self
>> defence! He subsequently appeared at Marylebone Magistrates Court and
>> was fined.  This is roughly the story as I remember.  It quite
>> surprised me because I had always had this vision of DB being a very
>> level headed,laid back sort of guy.
>
>Even level-headed laidback sorts of people sometimes need to defend
>themselves. I expect that the arresting policemen were carrying batons
>to do precisely the same thing.

Yes, you see Batons are the UK equivalent to handguns. don't what ever you
do get into an argument with somone from the National Baton Association.

This reminded me of an old Australian press clipping about Bob. I dug it out.

>From RAM (Rock Australia Magazine) November 18, 1977:

(Photo of Calvert in Lawrence of Arabia outfit)

"At a HAWKWIND concert in London this week, bouncers felt compelled to use
excessive violence when restraining the sci-fi rock group's fans. In turn,
vocalist Bob Calvert threatened the bemuscled morons with a microphone stand
to save his followers from serious injury. (See, the hippie dream still lives!)"

--
Tim Gadd
Hobart, Tasmania