OFF: Bags x 2 (was Re: HW saddos)

Stephen Swann swann at PLUTONIA.COM
Tue Apr 4 19:33:50 EDT 2000

On Tue, Apr 04, 2000 at 03:17:21PM -0700, Doug Pearson wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Apr 2000 17:11:51 -0400, Stephen Swann <swann at PLUTONIA.COM> wrote:
> >This has got to be a different Bags than the ones who did _Rock Starve_,
> >right?  I can't imagine them as being fronted by anything other than
> >those two ugly guitarists.
>
> Good lord!  I can't believe that anyone remembers that band (the
> mid/late-80s all-male Bags from Boston, not the late-70s mostly-female LA
> band).  Although given the locale I wouldn't be surprised if mr. DASLUD
> knew (of?) 'em.  Yes, they were the "other" Bags ... thanks for reminding
> me of one of the "mediocre underground rock bands of the 80s" ... Painted
> Willie (who I saw open for the Butthole Surfers back in 86 or so), anyone?

I was going to college in Boston during the late 80's.  I saw the Bags
a few times, usually as the opener for bands that were more "popular"
but not nearly as fun as they were.  Their album wasn't so hot, but
they kicked ass live - they had a *monster* guitar sound that made me
want to get up and jump around the room.  But the Straw Dogs were my
favorites from that music scene.  I tried to see every show they did.

I remember going to see the 'Dogs as part of a $5 three-fer show at
the Rat one time, when the power went out during a set by
"9lb. Hammer".  There they were, this ripping speed metal band,
jamming away like mad on their guitars and shredding the ears of
everybody in the place.  Then suddenly there was no power, and they
were just a bunch of long haired doofy looking guys making these
little "ching ching ching" sounds on their guitar strings.
Fortunately, they *realized* how silly this looked, so the 'Hammer
vocalist (a tall guy with one of the deepest/loudest voices I've ever
heard), did a stand up comedy routine while the engineers reset the
power.  He was genuinely hysterical, too.  What a great afternoon that
was.  I miss Boston.

Steve
swann at plutonia.com