OFF: Bags x 2 (was Re: HW saddos)

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Tue Apr 4 19:45:15 EDT 2000

Yeah, I'll definitely give you that the Bags (Boston version, I'm too young
for the LA one!) were a *fun* live band (even if their album was fairly
dull ... didn't they have a followup to 'Rock Starve', too?).  Without
being DeadMilkmen-goofy, which gets annoying quickly for me.

On Tue, 4 Apr 2000 19:33:50 -0400, Stephen Swann <swann at PLUTONIA.COM> wrote:
>I remember going to see the 'Dogs as part of a $5 three-fer show at
>the Rat one time, when the power went out during a set by
>"9lb. Hammer".  There they were, this ripping speed metal band,
>jamming away like mad on their guitars and shredding the ears of
>everybody in the place.

And you manage to bring up *another* duplicated band name!  "Nine Pound
Hammer" (not sure whether they used abbreviation/numeral) were a pretty
decent early-90s garage/punk band who had a few releases on Crypt records,
who I'm quite certain never played speed metal in Boston (although I
suppose I could be wrong).  Then, two of them had the bright idea that
forming a band with their girlfriends showing off in front would be much
more conducive to "hitting the big time".  They were entirely correct, as
you can see by the success of (whether you like 'em or not) Nashville
Pussy, said new spinoff band.

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com