HW Andy G'b - Dave Brock & his Baton 1982-3

Michael Crook m.j.crook at TALK21.COM
Thu Apr 6 20:26:22 EDT 2000

Hello Everyone'

M Holmes wrote:

> > "At a HAWKWIND concert in London this week, bouncers felt compelled to use
> >excessive violence when restraining the sci-fi rock group's fans. In turn,
> >vocalist Bob Calvert threatened the bemuscled morons with a microphone
> >stand
> >to save his followers from serious injury. (See, the hippie dream still
> >lives!)"
>
>A real man's microphone stand.

This reminds me of an incident which occurred at the Guild Hall in Preston during the 1988 (if I remember right) tour. There were a number of very animated fans in front of the stage who were jumping about wildly. Early in the set, the band began to play 'Needle Gun' and as Dave approached the mic one of these 'fans' lunged forward and pulled over his mic stand just as he was about to sing. Anyway as the band played on, a very angry Dave unslung his guitar and swung it down vertically towards the guilty one's head but, of course, stopping before making contact.  Dave soon returned to the now upright stand to begin singing, however,  the first line or two of the song were out of sync to the music, but it soon came right. It was only a minor incident, but for a second I really thought he was going to let him have it.
 So if any of you have got a tape from this gig and wondered why 'Needle Gun' may not sound quite right at the beginning, now you know.

All the best
Mick