Fwd: OFF: Planetary Alignments

DASLUD at AOL.COM DASLUD at AOL.COM
Thu Apr 6 16:54:03 EDT 2000

hi gang,
i forwarded this thread to a friend,  writer Lawrence Watt-Evans.

At 02:16 PM 4/6/00 EDT, DASLUD at aol.com wrote:

>"Ductor, Dan [NEUUS]" <DDUCTOR at NEUUS.JNJ.COM> wrote:
>> The last time that they were aligned was February 1962 in Aquarius.
>======
>Hmm, is this what that Age of Aquarius stuff was about?

No.  The astrological age is determined by precession of the vernal equinox,
not by planetary alignments.  The equinox shifted from Pisces to Aquarius
some time in the last third of the twentieth century, but exactly when
depends on where you draw the imaginary line between constellations.

Astrological ages last either 2,300 or 2,600 years -- I forget which because
I get them mixed up with a Hindu unit of time called a kalpa.  I think it's
2,300.  Anyway, the Piscean Age, which began when Rome was a republic, ended
a few years back and we're now in the Aquarian Age.

(The line in the song about "When the Moon is in the seventh house and
Jupiter aligns with Mars" is pure bullshit written simply to fit the meter
-- moon signs and planetary alignments have nothing to do with it, Juputer
aligns with Mars about every two years, and the Moon is in Libra about
thirteen times a year.)

                             -- Lawrence

The Misenchanted Page is at http://www.sff.net/people/LWE/
I also maintain pages at http://www.watt-evans.com and http://www.ethshar.com
My latest novel is DRAGON WEATHER.  NIGHT OF MADNESS is coming in November