HW: Case of mistaken identity, surely

Eric Siegerman erics at TELEPRES.COM
Fri Apr 7 19:29:44 EDT 2000

On Fri, Apr 07, 2000 at 12:16:57PM -0700, Doug Pearson wrote:
> >And who's this Mick Turner guy I keep seeing?  I do a double-take everytime
> >I flip by one of his discs.
>
> He's an Australian guitar player (great musician!) who plays in the Dirty
> Three

Then I saw him last Sunday.  Heh.

> The
> hype on the Dirty Three, fortunately, blew over a couple years ago, but if
> you're not familiar with them, I would *highly* recommend them to fans of
> Simon House.  They're sort of a melodic/jazz/psychedelic instrumental trio,
> and violinist Warren Ellis is fantastically talented and capable of
> creating really dramatic, moving melodies and tunes.  Unfortunately, his
> between-song banter leaves a bit to be desired, but that's really the only
> negative thing I could say about them.

I kept going back and forth between "this is kinda boring" and
"this is really cool!".  Overall rating: pretty good.  One of
the local alt. papers put the review of their new CD in the New
Age section, but said "Somehow, the Dirty Three again manage to
miss capturing the thrilling tension and hard-boiled passion of
their performances."

And his banter's not *that* bad.

> son [ie. Danny Thompson Jr.] = thud thud drummer

The one who played with HW?  Cool!  Who'd have guessed there was
a link between HW and Steeleye Span?

|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics at telepres.com
|  |  /
to me, Charlie Brown represented the courage to be sincere in the face of
ridicule. he was NOT a loser.
thank you, Mr. Schulz.
        - Robert C. Mayo