weird BOC: skit on SNL

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Mon Apr 10 12:33:00 EDT 2000

Tim said...

>The setup was a VH1 "Behind The Music" episode on BOC, but the writers
>didn't even make an effort to get any of the names right. They were in the
>studio to record DFTR with "famous producer Bruce Dickinson" (a phrase
>repeated about 6 times in the first minute of the sketch), who insists the
>song needs more cow bell.
>
>Not one of their better BTM send ups, IMO.

Yeah, I didn't *get* it.  I didn't think it was *supposed* to be BÖC (until
the BTM thing came on at the end, which made me wonder), esp. since Bruce
Dickinson didn't make a damn bit of sense.  I just thought they were using a
particular song as the actors weren't likely rock musicians (unlike Chris
Guest, Michael McKeon and Harry Shearer), and they needed to pipe in a real
recording.  (Actually, I thought the 'splicing' of the real DFtR backing
tape to the real live 'music' when they were cut off by 'Bruce' was done
quite well...*almost* believable.)  I just didn't have any idea of what they
were spoofing.

IMHO, it would have been better to have done it with Black Sabbath's The
Wizard, where there's that one single cowbell 'donk' right in the middle of
the song unaccompanied.  It coulda been more like Andy Kaufmann's Mighty
Mouse that way, i.e., funny.  :)

Grakkl (FAA)

P.S.  I noticed the one guy in the SNL-BÖC band was called 'Eric'
though....although I think he was really playing the part of Buck, if they
were supposed to be BÖC at all, that is.