HW: Question about Hawkwind albums

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Mon Apr 10 14:14:09 EDT 2000

Damn there's been a lot since then!  Did I miss any?

On Sun, 9 Apr 2000 00:27:19 -0700, Ian Rosen <shmucking at YAHOO.COM> wrote:
>I'm an avid collector of Hawkwind albums.  My question
>is, "What albums of new material did they release
>since Electric Teepee?"

Fortunately, the "albums of new material" part turns this from an
impossibly difficult question to a not-so-tough one.  There's only four (or
three-and-a-half) of those ...

1) 'It Is The Business of the Future To Be Dangerous' CD/double-LP
(Castle?/Griffin) last album with the Brock/Davey Chadwick trio; very ambient

2) 'Alien4' CD/double-LP (EBS) last album with Alan Davey, first with Ron Tree

3) 'Distant Horizons' CD (EBS) first album with Jerry Richards, Ron now on
bass

4) 'In Your Area' CD (Griffin) half live, half new studio material

Unfortunately, I'm goin to try to list *all* releases since then (I count
21!) ...
Other "significant" releases since 'Electric Teepee' would include -

EPs:
1) 'Gimme Shelter' 3-band CDEP (cover version w/Samatha Fox, vocals)
2) 'Spirit of the Age' CDEP/12" solstice remixes (techno versions based on
the original recording)
3) 'Quark, Strangeness & Charm' CDEP live version remixes of "Uncle Sam's
On Mars"
4) 'Area S4' CDEP/12" (4 songs from 'Alien4')
5) 'Love In Space' CDEP (with a great live "Lord of Light")

new live stuff:
1) 'The Business Trip' CD/double-LP (EBS) the "trio" live
2) 'Love In Space' double-CD/LP (EBS) 'Alien4' done live
3) 'Hawkwind 1997' CD (passport holder private release) 'Distant Horizons'
done live; available directly from the band

"related":
1) Psychedelic Warriors - 'White Zone' CD (EBS/Griffin) ambient music by
Brock/Davey/Chadwick
2) '25 Years' 4xCD box (Griffin) includes one "new" track circa IitBotFtbD
3) 'Ambient Anarchists' double-CD comp. Not a "greatest hits", (one "new"
track?)
4) 'Epoch Eclipse' 3xCD box (EMI) includes new "Silver Machine" remix
5) 'Ritual of the Solstice' CD/double-LP - more remixes circa '94(?)
6) 'Hawkwind Remix Project' CD - even more remixes circa '99
7) 'Elf & The Hawk' CD/double-LP (Black Widow) reissue of 'Hawkfan #12'
comp (w/live stuff c. 84/85, "friends & relations", etc.) and bonus tracks
(the Alan Davey 'Elf' double-7", etc.)

vintage stuff:
1) 'Dawn of Hawkwind' CD - Brock's pre-Hawkwind blues recordings
2) 'The 1999 Party' double-CD - GREAT show from 1974
3) 'Thrilling Stories' - part of a show from 1976
4) 3 'Collector Series' releases:
        'Live 79' complete - good show, OK sound
        'Live 82' - good show, good sound
        'Glastonbury 90' - great show, not-so-good sound

And I think that's it, although I haven't included boots, re-re-re-reissues
of the Dave Anderson/Demi Monde crap, the single-CD EMI comp., the EMI
remasters (great bonus tracks!), the Castle remasters (no bonus tracks),
the rehash of the Flicknife stuff on Cleopatra, Dave's third solo album,
re-re-issues of the 'Anthology'/'Acid Daze' material, CD-R tree discs, Nik
Turner's various projects, Alan Davey's Bedouin and other solo material,
etc. etc. etc.

Hope this helps!  Someone else please chime in if I missed anything ...

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com