OFF: Dots

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Thu Apr 13 10:37:30 EDT 2000

>I have seen this band name mentioned here before - what are they like?
>
>I may try to see them in Cambridge, MA

An odd mix of dreary poetic ramblings and then some very exciting flashes of
electronic wizardry and very intense jams.  'The Silverman' has banks of
oscillators and such devices that require copious amounts of knob-twiddling
during the performance.  The sax player, Neils von Hoornblower (or something
like that) is really cool...sometimes plays two saxes (alto and bari?) at once.
The singer Ka-Spel is a nut...he has a really nasally whiny voice (sim. to
Syd Barrett) that I really don't like at all.  His lyrics are really more of
the ranting variety...not sure what he going on about all the time.

Overall, I would say that they're not an exceptionally talented group of
musicians.  But then we've already had that discussion.  :)  They seem to be
popular with the goth crowd (wear black!), and they do have a similar flavor
I guess.  Their albums and their live performances both are hit-and-miss
affairs. But it's worth it for the thirty minutes or so at the end where
they put on the full electronic assault.  "The Saucers are Coming" and "The
Grain Kings."  Great stuff.  'The Maria Dimension' is the album to look for
first, I imagine.

Grakkl (FAA)