BOC: live in ny/'72 uh...what IS this?

Ted Jackson jr. tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Fri Apr 14 13:33:59 EDT 2000

On 14 Apr 00, at 13:11, Robert C. Mayo wrote:

> just picked up the BOC live in ny/'72...it's a strange thing...
>
> can anyone fill me in on some of the details of this thing?

Is this the one that yielded the 2 live tunes on WotT?  And also has
an early version of Buck's Boogie?  If so, I think that some of it was
recorded at a small venue in Rochester NY...

there are
> no songwriting/publishing credits; no copyright info..all of this
> would lead me to beleive it's a boot, but there's a label (munster
> records, madrid) name, address, phine #, and e-mail listed along with
> 'lisenced from skydog records, france'. and there's a upc code! the
> quality of the sound and apparent inner-groove distortion inherent in
> the sound indicates this was taken from the original 12". i'm assuming
> that this is what americans would deem a boot,

If it is the material I'm referring to, then it was an official recording
that was never released.  In other words, Columbia recorded it for
promotional purposes, for, say circulating among DJs, etc.  I know
John the FAQman is well acquainted with this one...

 but maybe in spain and
> france this type of thing is legal somehow?

European laws are different, esp. in Italy, hence the inordinate
number of 'live' discs with Italian imprints.  But apparently, the
loopholes have been closed, so I'm told that these should start to dry
up...

theo