HW: Sonic Boom interview

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Tue Apr 18 01:01:01 EDT 2000

Tim interpreted...

>>"Everyone knows Silver Machine, which even for Hawkwind was meant to be
>>some kind of joke that I guess backfired on them. But, you know, Orgone
>>Accumulator, I would have been proud to have written that song, I think
>>that's a cool song."
>>        -Sonic Boom
>
>Having a #3 single, which subsequently funded the space Ritual tour, which
>turned out to produce their highest selling album, is a curious definition
>of backfiring.

No, I think 'backfiring' meant that they weren't serious about the song, and
never expected it to be the 'anthem' that they became known for...and of
course, highly successful.  So it's 'backfiring' in a reverse sense.

I'm sure I remember other similar tales of 'accidents' becoming fantastic
successes, but it's late and my brain isn't functioning all that
efficiently.  The stuttering-BTO "Ain't Seen Nothing Yet" is all I can think of.

Grakkl (FAA)

P.S.  I had a bit of a laugh at Orgone.  I've said here before that it's
hardly a 'song,' in that it's about as simplistic as music can get.  But
then of course, BtG playing it for 25 minutes straight at SD'99 was a
particular favorite concert experience.

P.P.S.  I thought Jethro Tull was responsible for crop rotation.  Perhaps he
was, in addition to the seed thingy?

ObCD-EP:  gybe! - Slow Riot for Zero Kanada (fabulous!  Just got it...miles
better than the F#A#oo album IMHO.)