HW: Sonic Boom interview

Eric Siegerman erics at TELEPRES.COM
Wed Apr 19 14:41:35 EDT 2000

On Tue, Apr 18, 2000 at 01:01:01AM -0400, K Henderson wrote:
> I'm sure I remember other similar tales of 'accidents' becoming fantastic
> successes, but it's late and my brain isn't functioning all that
> efficiently.  The stuttering-BTO "Ain't Seen Nothing Yet" is all I can think of.

Not *exactly* space-rock :-) but apparently "Wreck of the Edmund
Fitzgerald" was a B-side, that some DJ ... I can't remember now
whether it was a literal accident, and he played the wrong song
on air; or just decided he preferred the B-side, playlist be
damned.  Lightfoot has said that if he knew it was going to be a
hit, he wouldn't have made it so long and monotonous.  Good
thing he didn't know, then.

> P.P.S.  I thought Jethro Tull was responsible for crop rotation.  Perhaps he
> was, in addition to the seed thingy?

He was responsible for a few things, it seems.  I went searching
on Google yesterday, but couldn't find more than fragmentary
references (plus -- and my eyes kind of bugged out at this --
some University's help page on how to get meaningful results
from Google that used my exact query as an example :-)

The little I found suggests he was something of an agricultural
Industrial Revolutionary.  If so, I suppose the proverbial Ned
Lud (and not-so-proverbial Bob Calvert) would have hated him...

Here's a picture:
        http://www.soilandhealth.org/01aglibrary/010102/01010200frame.html

One of the things he's credited with was ideas for farming under
more arid conditions than traditional European-style agriculture
can cope with (the above URL is actually to a book on the
subject from 1910).  Condidering population growth, and chronic
water problems in the Middle East and a lot of other places, Mr.
Tull may have something meaningful to offer the 21st Century.
Who'd have thought, for someone who'd never have been heard of
if some rock band hadn't appropriated his name...

|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics at telepres.com
|  |  /
to me, Charlie Brown represented the courage to be sincere in the face of
ridicule. he was NOT a loser.
thank you, Mr. Schulz.
        - Robert C. Mayo