HW: guests, sessions, spin-offs etc.

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Wed Apr 19 17:05:43 EDT 2000

On Wed, 19 Apr 2000 18:14:31 +0100, Jon Jarrett
<jjarrett at CHIARK.GREENEND.ORG.UK> wrote:

>DAVE ANDERSON:
>ex-Amon Düül II;
>        (joins Hawkwind 1970; leaves Hawkwind 1971);
>        1984 Inner City Unit (_New Anatomy_);
>        1985 Inner City Unit (_The President's Tapes_);

Dave Anderson is on 'NewAnatomy' (one track), but not on 'The Presidents
Tapes' (or the "Blood and Bone" 12" that came between those two records).
He'd already been fired, and all the bass parts on those records were
played by "Dead" Fred Reeves and Steve Pond.

>JOHN `TWINK' ALDER:
>ex-solo, Pink Fairies, Pretty Things, Tomorrow;
>        (Hawkwind standby 1971);

He also guested with Milwaukee psych band Plasticland (as frontman) for
their live album, 'You Need A Fairy Godfather' from, I believe, 1990
(Midnight Records).  Probably my favorite thing he's done since getting
booted from the Pink Fairies.

>ALAN POWELL:
>ex-Stackridge, Chicken Shack;
>        (joins Hawkwind 1975);
>        1978 Tanz der Youth;

Tanz Der Youth released one 7" single on Radar records; can't remember the
title offhand.  It should probably also be mentioned that he currently
plays country(?) music as "Joe Alan".

>KEITH HALE:
>        (joins Hawkwind 1980; leaves Hawkwind 1980).

Keith Hale is ex-Comus (whose first album rules, but the second one, with
Hale, sucks).

>STEVEN CHARLES:
>        (joins Hawkwind 1985; leaves Hawkwind 1985). [5]
>
>[5] _Is_ that his name? You know the feller, percussion on _Chronicle of
>the Black Sword_.

That would be DAVE Charles, one of the engineers at Rockfield studios.  I'm
pretty sure I've seen his name on other production credits, but I can't
think of where ...

>RON TREE:
>ex-Bastard;
>        (joins Hawkwind 1995);

Also ex-2000DS (see TAT) and ex-Captain Jesus and the Sunray Dream (I have
both LP's released by the latter).

>STEVE TAYLOR:

ex(?)-Sun Machine

On Wed, 19 Apr 2000 20:52:53 +0100, Jon Jarrett
<jjarrett at CHIARK.GREENEND.ORG.UK> wrote:
>On Wed, 19 Apr 2000 DASLUD at AOL.COM wrote:
>> In a message dated 4/19/00 1:53:58 PM, henderson.120 at OSU.EDU writes:
>>
>> << >GINGER BAKER: ex-Atomic Rooster, >>
>> ======
>> you _sure_ suh?
>>
>> they were the band carl palmer left to become 1/3 of elp, around the
time of
>> baker's air force...hhmmmm....
>
>        So _The Great Rock Discography_ insists, though it fails to list
>him in the Rooster entry anywhere.

'The Great Rock Discography' by M.C. Strong?  That book is so ridiculously
riddled with stupid errors (some of which are apparently intentional to
discourage copyright violation) that I consider it fairly worthless as a
serious, reliable reference.  There's at least one mistake in damn near
every single entry.  I've been tempted to make a list of all the mistakes,
but I have other things that I need to do during the next three years.  If
it says that Ginger Baker was in Atomic Rooster, it's a pretty safe
assumption that he WASN'T.

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com