OFF: Circle

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Thu Apr 20 10:25:14 EDT 2000

Hi Folks...

I don't know how many folks here know about these Finnish guys, but they're
one of my favorite current groups.  I think 'post-rock' is the closest
categorization, but if you like a mix of Düsseldorfian-motorik rhythms but
with a harder-driving pseudo-industrial edge, and a taste of spooky, dark
weirdness, then that's pretty much what you get.  :)  Really, it's wonderful.

Anyway, it was posted here recently that Metamorphos, the Finnish
space-rock-friendly label, went bellyup and put the kibosh on the Dark
Sun/Nik release.  But Circle's latest "Andexelt" *did* actually get released
on Metamorphos (META-025 CD).

And I just learned that tonight (!), they're playing at the Tavastia in
Helsinki supporting Faust (!).  I suppose that anyone in Helsinki already
knows about this, and it's too late if you're *not* in Helsinki.  :)

I've also discovered that Jussi has his own site now for 'ektro' records
(for Ektroverde, the Circle spinoff) at...

http://www.uta.fi/~tmjuleh/

Also, I see on the old site this notice.  Doug, you know these folks? And
can you tell us anything more about it?  Like who these other bands are...

>'Paint It Black', a compilation with Circle and Mieskuoro Huutajat is
coming >out in the USA by tUMULt in January. Other participants are Acid
Mother's >Temple, Stilluppsteypa, Amp, Melt Banana, and many more.