HW: guests, sessions, spin-offs etc.

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Fri Apr 21 09:54:25 EDT 2000

Jon jotted...

>> >NIK TURNER:
>> >        1997 Alien Planetscapes (`Soft Martian', `Radiation King');
>>
>> Huh?  Do you mean live at SD'97?  I don't think he was on Life on Earth.
>
>        Yeah - he is on those tracks on the SD97 CD isn't he? Or am I
>hearing someone else?

Well, saxophonist Blaise Siwula was with the band back then, so I suppose
it's him.  Dr. Synth also plays an 'electronic sax' thing at times, as well
as flute.

>> >STEVEN MACMANUS (DIK MIK):
>> >        (original member; leaves Hawkwind 1971);
>> >        (back to Hawkwind 1971; leaves Hawkwind 1973).
>>
>> Didn't somebody provide a different surname for Dik Mik?
>
>        S'what me book says...

I'm sure we had a discussion about this last year, where there were
different suggestions made.  'Cause it was said (repeated not too long ago)
that MacManus was the surname of a Brock 'acquaintance.'

>> >HUW LLOYD LANGTON:
>>
>> He also played with Leo Sayer at one point in his career.
>
>        Got nothing on that... Anyone?

I think I've read more about this in either Ptolemaic Terrascope or Crohinga
Well.  From www.huwlloyd-langton.co.uk, I got...

1971 to 1979: Came a variety of gigs. A 2-year acoustic stint in vegetarian
London restaurant PASTURES. John Butler DIESEL PARK WEST'S singer joined him
for 6 months and Eddy Klima, RATTLES singer for a further year.  He taught
guitar at a comprehensive school in Streatham for a year and did numerous
sessions, one included writing the music for a cartoon, narrated by Viv
Stanshall, BONZO DOG DOO DA BAND and 6 months with LEO SAYER touring UK &
Europe.  Several band situations including working with John Lingwood
MANFRED MANN'S long standing Drummer. SALT, with top Austrian artist Bobby
Hammer. An LP Huw did with them called 'Best of British Rock' is valued at
5,000 German Schillings as a collectors item. AMON DIN with Dave Anderson
AMON DUUL'S bass player. GALLERY with Rob Rawlinson on Bass from Ian Hunters
OVERNIGHT ANGELS. MAGILL with Pete Scott from SAVOY BROWN. Huw toured
Yugoslavia with ALEXANDER JOHN a music presenter on BBC World Network.
Another excellent band was the Trinidadian Band BATTI MAMSELLE, whose music
had a strong Latin American influence with lead singer LONDON BEAT'S Jimmy
Chambers.

>> >        1983 Lloyd Langton Group (`Wind of Change');
>>
>> What the heck is this?
>
>        Non-album single from _Outside the Law_ sessions.

Oh, I think that should actually be 'Working Time' b/w 'I See You'.  These
two tracks appear on the HW- Friends & Relations: The Rarities CD on Griffin
(1995) GCD-523-2.  Or maybe there were both. (?)  And would Wind of Change
be the same track as on HotMG?

And what are these sessions?  The album 'Outside the Law' (from what I
remember) is 100% poorly-recorded live show.  But then this 'Working Time'
is obviously a studio track.  And then 'I See You' is that crappy live stuff
again.  Also, there's a studio version of 'Outside the Law' on the other
Griffin "F&R" disc (GCD-535-2) that I imagine is from the same session as
'Working Time.'  'Cause it's not the same as that which appeared on Huw's
'On the Move' CD.

What's the story here?  Did Flicknife intend to release a studio album of
Huw's entitled 'Outside the Law,' and then for some reason only a couple
tracks were ever recorded, and so they just slapped the name on that lousy
recording Huw gave them and just released it?  I'm making this up, but it
fits the 'evidence.'

>> >DAVE ANDERSON:
>> >ex-Amon Düül II;
>> >        (joins Hawkwind 1970; leaves Hawkwind 1971);
>> >        1983 Amon Düül 2 (_Hawk Meets Penguin Vol. 1_);
>> >        1984 Inner City Unit (_New Anatomy_);
>> >        1985 guest with Hawkwind;
>>
>> >From here on, should probably read Amon Düül (UK).
>
>        Thought about that - is that what it says on the albums?

I think the '2' was retained for the Menmachines album (with or without
inglorious), but that was rather a stretch.  Dropped for later recordings.
The UK has been added by those of us who wish to keep the original pre-AD2
entity distinct from this latter hodgepodge of folks using that name.  I
would say 'totally bogus' but I rather like 'Olaf....where's my 20 grand?'.
Is that a VDGG cover?  That's what I remember, and Guy Evans was in that
lineup, himself ex-VDGG.  And some of the Calvert stuff was interesting.

>> >MARTIN GRIFFIN
>> >        (1977-1978 Sonic Assassins, Hawklords);
>> >        (joins Hawkwind 1978; leaves Hawkwind 1979; back to Hawkwind 1980);
>> >        (1982 Hawklords);
>> >        (leaves Hawkwind 1983).
>>
>> somewhere in here, he was with Richard Strange, ex-Doctors of Madness.  And
>> appeared on the Live Rise of... at least.
>
>        More details!

OK, the album was called...

"The Live Rise of Richard Strange" on PVC/Ze Records, Cat. # PVC 7917 (1980).
Line-up was:
Richard Strange - Vocals, Guitar, Keyboards (?)
Sam Williams, Paul Martinez (once of PAL and Robert Plant!), Simon Frazier -
Bass
Martin Griffin - Drums
guest Dave Winthrop - Sax (on Preplay)

(Note that 'Preplay' is the same music as 'Work' from F&R II, but the lyrics
are completely different, as is the title of course.  The sax is pretty much
the same IIRC....same guy anyway.)

It says on the liner notes that it was a live recording from NYC, and it
rather seems like that, but it was undoubtedly recorded over with additional
stuff.  I doubt they had three bassists on tour then!  Terry Hounsome's Rock
Record lists this album under the title 'The Phenomenal Rise of...' which is
in fact the first song on the album.  But it's not a separate entity, 'cause
the cat. no. is the same.

I don't think MG was ever in Doctors of Madness (Richard known as 'Kid
Strange' then), but I'm not the expert on this lot.  Somebody here made me a
tape of that stuff, so there's someone who can answer this I imagine.

>> >KEITH HALE:
>> >        (joins Hawkwind 1980; leaves Hawkwind 1980).
>>
>> Didn't he sing Dangerous Visions on Zones?  Or is that Hayles?
>
>        That's him, but the actual recording is still from 1980 no matter
>what the release date says :-)

Oh OK, I was just thinking you were noting on which albums they each
appeared on, and I knew he appeared on something.

Grakkl (FAA)