HW: Re: HW: Flexi?

Jill Strobridge jill at THETA-ORIONIS.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Mon Apr 24 15:07:08 EDT 2000

There are "postcards" which are literally picture postcards covered in a
plastic vinyl into which the relevant track has been etched.    Myself,
I find these extremely attractive and eminently collectable (!) but
there seem to be several hundred (maybe even thousands?) of them around
so don't be tempted into paying huge prices.     I've only ever sourced
mine from E. European countries (or at least people here who have got
them from there) but it seems that once you have found a contact the
supply suddenly becomes neverending!    I suspect each buyer is in
danger of creating his own market - though I have to admit that I've
never seen ANY recent tracks produced as postcards so it could be that
production of them was limited to the earlier tracks.

However I am also informed that these postcard picture postcards are not
the original "postcards".   The original "postcards" are a poor quality
coloured vinyl semi-rigid flexi much as described below.    The interest
in them lying more in their social history (made at a time when it was
illegal to buy records by bands such as Hawkwind) than in their quality.
(Exactly why the supposedly original vinyl version was called a postcard
if it wasn't, though, entirely escapes me - but no matter!)

Basically though, as far as I know (and somebody please tell me if I'm
wrong!)  it is impossible to date them exactly so unless somebody knows
something I don't there's no way you can tell whether you've got a 1970s
one or one that was made last week    That being said, I really like the
half dozen or so I've got - though I'm not planning to add to them!

jill