HW: guests, sessions, spin-offs etc.

John McIntyre mcintyre at PA.MSU.EDU
Tue Apr 25 11:08:34 EDT 2000

> >> somewhere in here, he was with Richard Strange, ex-Doctors of Madness.  And
> >> appeared on the Live Rise of... at least.
> >
> >        More details!
>
> OK, the album was called...
>
> "The Live Rise of Richard Strange" on PVC/Ze Records, Cat. # PVC 7917 (1980).
> Line-up was:
> Richard Strange - Vocals, Guitar, Keyboards (?)
> Sam Williams, Paul Martinez (once of PAL and Robert Plant!), Simon Frazier -
> Bass
> Martin Griffin - Drums
> guest Dave Winthrop - Sax (on Preplay)
>
> (Note that 'Preplay' is the same music as 'Work' from F&R II, but the lyrics
> are completely different, as is the title of course.  The sax is pretty much
> the same IIRC....same guy anyway.)
>
> It says on the liner notes that it was a live recording from NYC, and it
> rather seems like that, but it was undoubtedly recorded over with additional
> stuff.  I doubt they had three bassists on tour then!  Terry Hounsome's Rock
> Record lists this album under the title 'The Phenomenal Rise of...' which is
> in fact the first song on the album.  But it's not a separate entity, 'cause
> the cat. no. is the same.
>
> I don't think MG was ever in Doctors of Madness (Richard known as 'Kid
> Strange' then), but I'm not the expert on this lot.  Somebody here made me a
> tape of that stuff, so there's someone who can answer this I imagine.

"The Phenomenal Rise Of Richard Strange" was the studio album followed
almost immediately by "The Live Rise Of Richard Strange" with a few changes
in the set list.   Sigh, I really should check my records at home rather than
relying
on memory, but here goes... (-8  It's my understanding that for the tour that
produced "The Live Rise Of Richard Strange", the show was just Strange with
backing from a four track tape machine.  So the instrumentation credits are
probably from the studio "The Phenomenal Rise Of Richard Strange,"
with the studio tapes providing the backing for the live show.

BTW Kid Strange was listed as performing at Julian Cope's recent two day
festival.  Anyone catch his act?

John McIntyre
Physics - Astronomy Domine Dept
Michigan State University